Everything you always wanted to know about smell but were afraid to ask.
- The story of Calone
- The sense of smell of insects
- All about cardamom
- Analysing the smells of a holiday home
Invisible yet undeniable, smells feature in all creative fields.
- Extract: Muskby Percy Kemp
- Huysmans: a spiritual voyage, nostrils wide open
- A smell-binding tour of Camden Town
- Creative spirits: Marlène Staiger and Nicolas Julhès
- Flower Danceby Goldie Poblador
- A Table of Dessertsby Jan Davidsz. de Heem
- Olfactory column: Céline Ellena
Exploring the world of perfume through its origins, its trade secrets, its history and its professionals.
- Bergamot, the prized scent of Calabria
- Interview: Michel Almairac
- Flashback: La Belle Époque
- The fantasy perfumery
NATURAL VS. SYNTHETIC
We examine and debate the use of natural and synthetic ingredients in perfumes, viewed from historical, scientific, legal, industrial and marketing perspectives.
- Nature is chemistry!: Mapping the fragrant molecules of the vegetal world
- The genesis of synthetics: How perfumery entered modernity in the 19th century
- How tomorrow’s scents are invented: The search for new molecules
- Who’s afraid of the big bad perfume?: An investigation into the real or supposed dangers hidden in perfumes
- The cult of the natural: When an ingredient becomes the selling point
- In the garden of lost scents: The forgotten plants of perfumery
- Making an odour more real than nature: The nose and palate can no longer tell the synthetic from the natural
From consumer products to works of art, Neztakes a look behind the scenes of the perfume industry, and also appraises the 30 new fragrances making the news.
The era of computer-assisted perfumery
BEHIND THE BRAND
Parfum d’empire – Marc-Antoine Corticchiato
Tabac blond,by Coty
What’s new and our picks / perfumes, cosmetics and home fragrance
POINT OF VIEW